Wednesday 2 July 2014

Rowan Knitting & Crocheting Magazine 56, Part 1: A Review


Rowan Knitting & Crocheting Magazine has released issue 56. It has 41 patterns in it, which is a bit much for one review, so as per usual for me when I write Rowan reviews, I'm going to review the first half of the patterns today and the remaining patterns on Friday. Let's look at the first 20 patterns, shall we?





We begin with the Ordie design. I like it, and I like the idea of incorporating stripes of colour, though I don't care for the colours used in this sample.





The Moraig design. Like this one too. It's classic, and yet that fair isle pattern is a little different from any I've ever seen before.





The Ness design. Love this one. The colourway is gorgeous and that's a really original rendering of a fair isle yoke. I'd be inclined to continue the pattern all the way down the sleeves and just work a cuff length in the main colour, though. This does have a slightly unfortunate dropped shoulder visual effect.





The Ashie pattern. Very much like this tartan and cable pattern, though the colourway doesn't appeal much.





The Carlochy design. Love the tartan design of this one, but have my concerns about the shaping. If those front edges don't meet in the front, I'd reshape them so that they do, because that is not a flattering style for most women.





The Heilen pattern. This is a decent design except for the sleeves, which manage to look both stretched out and shrunken. I'd make the patterned part of the sleeve no longer than cap-length and knit the rest of the sleeve in the blue.





The Scaven design. This is a nice piece, though that gradient yarn effect isn't quite working as it should — it looks a little muddled. It can be difficult to find yarns that are just the right shades for a project like this.





The Brack Cape has a good texture but I don't know if anyone will notice it because they'll be too preoccupied with wondering if the wearer's arms are deformed.





The Roan jacket. This is quite a gorgeous piece of design (love the stitchwork and the colourway), but I would raise those dropped shoulders.





The crosses used here make the Fergus design a new take on the classic cabled pullover for men, because they stand out so much. I'd say they work quite well.





The Laide pattern. Love this one. It's simple enough to go with a pattern as it does here, with this kilt, and yet interesting enough to be worn with a basic skirt or jeans.





The Brora sweater. Love this one too, with its classic cables and very well integrated leaf vine motif.





The Ailish turtleneck. This one is a very decent piece of work. I don't think I like the colour change in the cuffs — they look a little random. I'd do the cuffs, collar and hem in the same colour, whether that colour is the main colour or one of the colours from the tartan.





The Craggie turtleneck. This is a little unusual in terms of menswear, but I think it works. If you're knitting this for a man who isn't you, I'd run it by him first to make sure he will wear it.





Quite like the Fyn jacket.





The Katja sweater. I knew as soon as I saw the thumbnail for this design that this had to be a Kaffe Fassett design, and it is. I can't imagine I'll ever criticize a Fassett design for its colourwork, as he is a master of colour, but I will recommend raising the dropped shoulders and maybe neatening up the fit of this design a little.





The Tanja design is another Kaffe Fassett piece. It's an eye-catching piece and the shape is good.





The Elsa pattern. I like this one, but am I imagining things or do I see a subway stop in that pattern?





The Heike design. I like this one, though I am fighting the urge to make a bib joke.





The Angelika design. Another pretty one. It's perhaps a little boxy in shape, but that's not hard to fix.

Look for the second half of the Rowan Knitting & Crocheting Magazine issue 56 review this coming Friday!

1 comment:

  1. I feel like a heretic but I don't like Fassett's designs. These two aren't making me into a believer either.

    ReplyDelete