Thursday 23 March 2017

Noro Magazine Issue 10: A Review


Noro Magazine has released Issue 10. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Pattern 1, Boxy Pullover. Love the colours, but would neaten up the fit to make this a Pullover rather than a Boxy Pullover.





Pattern 2, Basketweave Tee. Like the pattern above, I'd fix the drop shoulders, add waist shaping, and make this standard fit. Boxy fits simply aren't flattering on most women. As you can see, even this professional model isn't able to carry this one off.





Pattern 3, Marled Stripe T-Shirt. A nice-looking casual piece.





Pattern 4, Cabled Tee. I like this one on the whole, but would do that front panel in a seed stitch instead of mesh in order to avoid letting the whole world know what bra I was wearing underneath.





Pattern 5, Colorblock Tee. I'm not crazy about the combination of the cabled effect with the gradient moss stitch. It makes this sweater look like the result of a head-on collision between two different designs.





Pattern 6, Side Slit Tee. I rather like this one, and I even think the dropped shoulders work pretty well because the shaping is so good, but I think I might shorten the sleeves a trifle.





Pattern 7, Openwork Cowl. This is kind of fun, but it would make me feel like I was wearing some sort of artsy scarf hanger.





Pattern 8, Pleat and Eyelet Scarf. This looks a little too much like the kind of scrap yarn project that one makes up as one goes along. While drinking.





Pattern 9, Buttonhole Cowl. I'm quite liking this one with its fun and effective combination of colour and texture.





Pattern 10, Garter and Lace Cowl. This one also has too much of a scrap yarn project feel, though this one at least looks as though it was made by a sober person.





Pattern 11, Dimensional Tuck Stitch Cowl. Very pretty. The colours and the tucked effect work well together.





Pattern 12, Crochet Wave Poncho. Even a beautiful yarn and intricate stitchwork can't save a design that has the shape and hang of a Hefty bag.





Pattern 13, Rhombus Poncho. For the late bloomer who needs the world to know she is emerging from chrysalis, and therefore needs a chrysalis from which to emerge.





Pattern 14, Easy Striped Wrap. I would modify this by renaming it "Easy Striped Throw" and placing it on a couch.





Pattern 15, Chevron Jacket. This one almost works. I'd help it complete its transition from afghan to jacket by making the sleeves more fitted and adding front closures.





Pattern 16, Swingy Poncho. If you're a regular reader of this blog, you may know that I hold that items meant to be worn by a human being should not look like afghans. To this I must now add that clothes should also not look like curtain valances from a 1940s bordello.





Pattern 17, Lacy Ruana. This one also belongs on a couch.





Pattern 18, Chevron Throw. The design is fine, though I can't say I care for the colour palette.





Pattern 19, Modular Afghan. Fresh and pretty.





Pattern 20, Patchwork Afghan. This design deserved better than to be rendered in a "Barbie's Dream House Meets Mudslide and Oil Slick" colour palette.





Pattern 21, Patchwork Pillow. This pillow is done in such happy colours that they make me smile when I look at it.





Pattern 22, Origami Pouch. This is a rather nice-looking tote. I would line it with fabric and probably also some sort of interlining to keep it from sagging all to hell.





Pattern 23, Sleeveless Jacket. This design looks too unfinished and crude to be really attractive.





Pattern 24, Short Sleeve Jacket. Very pretty. Love the colour, the subtle lace pattern, and the cute, stylish shape.





Pattern 25, Dolman Sleeve Jacket. This has promise but it doesn't hang well at all.





Pattern 26, Sleeveless Top with Pockets. I'd add waist shaping to this one, and do something a little different with the pockets, such as adding little button flaps, instead of going with the bow shape and the eyelet detail on each one, which isn't working.





Pattern 27, Sleeveless Top. This is pretty. And I would neaten up the fit a little, but only because that's my personal preference. This loose-fitting top does look good as is.





Pattern 28, Cross Stitch Top. Interesting texture but I'm not sure the shape is so good, though it's hard to tell from this side angle photo.





Pattern 29, Vee Neck Pullover. Pretty, though I would make this a little more fitted and add waist shaping.





Pattern 30, Broomstick Lace Shawl. An attractive wrap with a very cool and interesting texture.

8 comments:

  1. Nothing to love in this issue! Pattern 11is especially hideous, looks like cascades of blubber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, and was going to say the exact same thing. A waste of good yarn!

      Delete
  2. I can never quite get into Noro. Colors, yeah, OK. But way too busy for my tastes. Thanks for saving me from buying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to be a collection of hefty trash bags rendered in yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems a lot of these patterns are just so ridiculous looking at least in my opinion. That swingy Poncho that's just hideous looking. Now you liked #30 the broomstick lace Shawl. Where to me it looks like something leftover from the 50's that should have stayed there.
    I love Noro colors and yarn but I seldom seem to find a pattern from their magazine I like. I do like the bag and the vest but not enough to to buy the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's something about 1940s Bordello... Best description of the whole magazine! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There wasn't one thing I liked here except your commentary - I LOLed: "For the late bloomer who needs the world to know she is emerging from chrysalis, and therefore needs a chrysalis from which to emerge."

    Thanks for taking one for the team.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will just add that if a reader had never encountered Noro in any other setting or pattern, she would not be inspired by these patterns to seek out the yarn or pay the retail price for it. Theseatterns are doing nothing for the reputation of a yarn that, used in better patterns, can be quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete