Monday 15 October 2018

Knitting Traditions 2018: A Review


Today we're going to have a look at the Knitting Traditions 2018 issue.





Ann Veronica Cardigan. I like the lace, but the front edges of this design don't sit all that well.





Ballet Russes Wrap. Lovely!





Bias Lines Top. This top has a handkerchief hem, which is a vintage design feature that is apparently enjoying a resurgence at the moment. I'm all for the reinterpretation of charming design styles of the past, but I do note that handkerchief hems haven't typically sat at the hips. This isn't going to be the most figure-flattering design on most women, but I must admit it's an interesting piece that drapes well because of its bias construction.





Coco's Wrap. Classic little lace shawl.





Collecting Bag. This cute and quite modern bag is a nod to the Girl Guides and their history of collecting natural specimens.





Directoire Top. An attractive and very wearable pullover.





Journey's End Plaid. This simple plaid scarf design, which is another piece inspired by the Girl Guides, is rather smart, and is knitted from real Girl Guides. (No, not really, but I couldn't resist a Wednesday Addams shout-out.)





Mackintosh Leaves Jewelry Set. I've never been able to get on board with jewelry knitted from yarn, because no matter how good the design of it is, it never looks like jewelry. Knit this set with wire and beads and you'll have something that doesn't look like something your child brought home from arts and crafts camp.





Queen's Cross Church Capelet. With its wrought-iron like cabling and meticulous detailing, this is one fab piece.





Schiaparelli's Shawl. This one's fun and sporty.





Sheep Station Cardigan. Good shaping and I like the combination of texture and lace.





Sporty Sailor Top. I love the sailor top style, and I like this piece on the whole, but I'm finding myself looking at that lacing and thinking how rough and ready it looks. I'd be inclined to make a proper placket and buttons instead, or nix it entirely and simply affix a bow where the two sides of the collar meet.





Suffragette's Coat. This one has some very attractive detailing, but I'm not thrilled with how the front edges sit.





Traveler's Sweater. Nice, but I think I'd want to walk around in this one backwards so that everyone could see the more attractive back. Also, I lust after that pleated tartan skirt.





Tree Line Henley. Oooh, pretty! And it's kind of neat that this one almost tricks the eye into thinking these are two layered pieces.





Twists and Turns Wrap. The zig zag lace is nice, but I can't say I care for the edging. It has such a crude look to it.





Wings & Keys Cowl. Very attractive design. The keys, bees, and butterflies motifs are a reference to science beginning to unlock nature's secrets. My first thought was that the keys were actually sperm and that the sperm, butterflies, and bees referenced the facts of life.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on that plaid skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Bias Lines Top could be lengthened to make a very attractive tunic. I agree though that the length shown is awkward.

    ReplyDelete