Wednesday 4 December 2019

Pom Pom Quarterly Winter 2019: A Review


Pom Pom Quarterly has released their Winter 2019 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Acre. The design has an 80s vibe, although the colourway is quite contemporary. I would avoid doing this particular project in fuschia, royal blue, and teal. Come to think of it, I would avoid doing any project in fuschia, royal blue, and teal.





Afield. This a pretty decent design for the kind of neutral cardigan a woman might, say, keep at the office for chilly days. It's neutral and easy to wear, but also has some textural interest to keep it from being too basic.





Alatau. Love the texture in this little cap.





Arete. Not really a fan of the random slashes of colour on this one, but the shaping is good, so if you like contemporary art-like knits, this may be the knitting project for you. I would however definitely recommend that you knit the contrast colour slashes in a colour that doesn't remotely resemble the wearer's skin tone, as that can create an unintended visual effect. I did a double take when I first looked at this photo.





Hypsometry. Another cute cap.





Mafadi. Nice use of brioche and reverse stocking stitch here. This is interesting and polished, yet neutral.





Saltings. Nice stitchwork, and that mohair silk yarn looks luscious (as mohair silk always does), but the mock turtleneck collar and slightly dropped shoulders give this a slightly frumpy look.





Tellervo. A very decent classic cabled cardigan.





Terraform. These are so cute I might just have to make a pair of them for myself sometime.





Waterlands. Nice piece! It's hard to go wrong with a circular yoke design. I'd lengthen the sleeves to full-length, but that's just a personal preference, as I find cropped sleeves are an awkward, unflattering length on me.

1 comment:

  1. I love that they use 'regular' people for their models. And the 'Waterlands' piece is really attractive. I do agree with you on the sleeve length. Many times cropped sleeves make the garment look like it just doesn't fit the wearer.

    ReplyDelete