Monday 17 February 2020

Vogue Knitting Winter 2019/2020: A Review


Vogue Knitting has released its Winter 2019/2020 issue! Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Pattern #1, Swathe. A very nice textured wrap. It amuses me that the styling is so very 1986 -- though if this were actually 1986, the model's sweater and hair would have been big enough for three women.





Pattern #2, Java. That is... a lot of hat. But I have no quibbles with the design of the hat other than that, so it may be the perfect thing for someone who likes to go big or go bareheaded.





Pattern #3, Warp/Weft. A simple, useful, bulky cowl in bamboo stitch.





Pattern #4, Scalene. Bulky, drapey ponchos are not my bag (see what I did there?) at all, but I must admit this is well done for what it is, even if I can't help think wistfully how much better it would look on a couch. I love the colour scheme and the rhythmic triangle pattern.





Pattern #5, Klein Reversible Wrap. Basic but useable.






Pattern #6, The Sophisticate. This reminds me of long, open-front cardigan my mother used to wear around the house back in the early eighties: it also had handy pockets, and 3/4 length sleeves that wouldn't get into the food whenever my mother was working in the kitchen. This is quite a wearable, practical item that can be styled in a variety of ways, though I will say I can't help wincing a little at the absurdly short sleeves. I would raise the dropped shoulders a little.





Pattern #7, The Grandfather. This one's a bit too utilitarian for me -- it reminds me of a Mao jacket. I think maybe this design is one that calls for an interesting and/or especially beautiful yarn, as it needs a little oomph.





Pattern #8, The Multitasker. I'd fix the dropped shoulders, and I think there are better colourway choices for this pattern, but otherwise this design is quite wearable, and could be a good stash buster.





Pattern #9, The Gradient. I'd raise the dropped shoulder and neaten up the fit a little on this one, but otherwise it's a polished, contemporary, appealing piece.





Pattern #10, Folkloric Sweater. Well, this is something different. I like it -- it's not only very eyecatching, but keeps me staring at it, checking out all the details.





Pattern #11, Tendril. Lovely, and the cable pattern is fantastic.





Pattern #12, Echo. A classic lace wrap.





Pattern #13, Arbor. Another wonderful little cabled capelet. I mean, just feast your eyes on that intricate cable pattern.





Pattern #14, Nouveau. The Ravelry page notes for this design compares it to Scottish designer Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s famous florals. I don't disagree, and it is certainly a beautiful piece, but it would have me terrified that it was going to catch on everything.





Pattern #15, Corolla. This is a lovely little jacket, though I would fix those dropped shoulders.





Pattern #16, Herald. A very attractive pullover. Despite this being a winter issue, Vogue Knitting does seem to be looking towards spring with some of their designs.





Pattern #17, Topiary. What a sweet little cardi.





Pattern #18, The Cable Guy. This is a "from the archives" pattern, which Vogue Knitting first published in 1962, reprinted in 1985, and is running again in this issue. Despite all the sweeping changes in fashion since 1962, I don't suppose there's been a year since it was originally published in which it would have looked dated. Such is the staying power of a classic cabled pullover.

2 comments:

  1. I made the Cable Guy when it came out in 1985. Loved it then, love it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 'Java' hat is WAY too big for the model's head...even on top of being a big bulky hat. It is sitting on her neck like it's balanced there just for the picture. Looks kind of silly.

    ReplyDelete