Friday 6 March 2020

Pom Pom Quarterly Spring 2020: A Review


Today we're going to have a look at it Pom Pom Quarterly's Spring 2020 issue.





Aloft. This photo isn't without a certain charm -- it's hard to resist that model's smile -- but the actual design, with its dropped shoulders, cropped length, oversized fit, and baggy sleeves, will be tremendously unflattering on nearly any woman.





Aperature. A very pretty light shawl.





Aubade. The yoke detailing is gorgeous and I love the way it's combined with stripes, but the cropped length combined with the baggy fit does the design no favours. I'd make this pattern in a standard length and fit.





Cairie. Pretty decent eyelet pullover, but I would fix the dropped shoulders.





Chapman. This shawl verges on granny afghan, but somehow it's basically working in a kind of hip, offbeat way. I can imagine a certain kind of young woman carrying this accessory off just as the model is doing.





Lacuna. The lace pattern is very attractive, but the shaping is awful. God, those stumpy little sleeves, the mullet hem, the general bagginess of the thing -- it's so unflattering on the model.





Niebla. I rather like this one. I like the contrast between the detailed yoke, snug cuff, and hem done in a matte yarn, and the soft body and puffy sleeves in a mohair-silk yarn. I would just lengthen it somewhat -- cropped lengths tend to be unflattering.





Solasta. I'd neaten up the fit of this and nix that mullet hem and long side vent, but I can't help liking the sorbet-coloured yarns used here.





Susurrus. This pullover, with its bands of merino silk lace and mohair stockinette, is very pretty.





Vayu. This latticed crocheted shawl is an interesting and attractive contemporary take on the lace shawl, with its linear rather than curved lines.

4 comments:

  1. I don't understand the cropped, baggy style. It doesn't do anybody any favors in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also don't get the cropped, baggy thing. I also don't get the part where they put an able-bodied model in a wheelchair and tried to make it look like she's missing a leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so sure she is able-bodied. she's seated in every single picture.

      Delete
  3. Lacuna: Not only the top is top-ugly, the skirt is unflattering as well

    I tend to imagine these patterns in bigger sizes - catastrophy! I am 1,83m - wearing something like "Aloft" would classify me as "visual hardship"...

    ReplyDelete