Saturday 31 August 2013

Knitter's Magazine Issue 112: A Review

Knitter's Magazine has released issue no. 112. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





I'm not a poncho/capelet fan, and I don't like this colourway personally, but this Square Fare pattern isn't a bad design. It has some shaping and was made with care, which gives it some character.





This Diagonal Ribbons piece has a really interesting texture and I'd love to see what could be done with it if it were used in an actual design (something with, you know, shaping and finishing), instead of just being randomly whipped up and slung onto a model so that it hangs on her like a remnant torn from an old curtain. I don't speak against curtains, mind you. All I'm saying is that when Scarlett O'Hara made a dress out of curtains, she took the trouble to actually make a dress.





Ripple Ridge. I wish I could see the whole length of this top, but from what I can see this is an attractive, polished piece that can be worn with a suit or jeans.





Career Checks. This one is very Chanel-esque. I almost think I should add it to my post on Chanel-like sweaters. The loopy detailing down the front is rather unusual and not something I'd ordinarily like, but I think it works on this design and keeps it from being too staid and run-of-the-mill.





The All Ears hat isn't for every adult, but I have to admit it made me laugh (in a delighted rather than a sardonic way) and that that model's laugh also looks very much like one of genuine enjoyment. It's a playful, well-constructed design and could be fun on someone with the sense of fun and chutzpah to carry it off. Just don't go down to the woods in it during hunting season, because you'll be in for a big surprise.





This is the Eggplant Tunic, and I can't sign off on something that looks like a dreary pinafore that was named what it was because you can spill eggplant on it and not make it any worse-looking than it already is.





The Points on the Curve design is referred to in its description as a "fichu". This designer has gone for a modern fichu look, because this looks like nothing that would ever have been worn by say, the ladies of Cranford. I can see this working on a woman with a very modern dress sense.





I wish I could see the front of the Forest Hoodie as I'm not sure about how that front pocket will look dead on, or about the finishing on the front, but I think I like it. I can't help liking the tweedy elbow patches.





The Cirque Jacket is one of those designs that made a brave beginning but didn't get where it deserved to. I like the vertical bands on the front, I like the garter stitch, but those lapels and button fronts look just awful and I'm more than a little concerned about the shaping through the hips, which looks like it flares out too much and won't be at all flattering when viewed squarely from the front.





I like the Red Line sweater except for one thing, and you can probably already guess what that one thing is because, like me, it's all you see when you look at this photo. I know the zipper is supposed to be an accent, but it just isn't passing for one. It's just too nuts and bolts to be aesthetically pleasing, especially on an otherwise sharp and polished design. I'd omit the zipper, because this sweater can easily be pulled on over the head without it, and maybe put a stripe or two in the cuffs if I felt the sweater needed something more.





The Tribal Jacket pattern isn't bad. I think I'd suggest just one tweak: that it doesn't need the contrast trim around the body of the jacket and cuffs. It just seems to be that one thing too much that makes a jacket with a lot of visual interest too busy. I'd make the trim in the same colour as the bodice pieces.





I very much like the Red & Wine jacket, which could be knitted in either attention-grabbing colours as it is here to make it a statement piece or in neutrals, to make it something a woman can wear with many of her outfits.





This is the Street-Smart Stripes design, but I can't imagine that anyone who ventured out on a city street in this would look like anything else but country cousin in her 4-H knitting project. I think there might be a good design in there somewhere, if someone would attempt to make this in two or three colours that actually go together, but I can't look at it long enough to be sure of that because it's making me cross-eyed. And for some reason Knitter's Magazine chose to make this their cover look. Lord.





I actually rather like the Lush & Lacy Trapeze design. Ordinarily I'd have nothing good to say about all that bulk around the hips, but one can get away with that kind of thing in a sheer. And it's still not for everyone, but I do have a friend with a very modern dress sense whom I can see totally rocking it.





I can only say I love the Glacier Lake design unconditionally and without end. It's a fresh new take on a traditional pattern and it's striking and lovely and totally wearable.





I very much like the Cables and Saddles design, which is a simple little number with perfect detail and that will probably become indispensable to any woman who owns it.





The Pewter Pair design, which comprises both of these patterns. Again, I'm not a capelet fan, but this is a good example of one, and it was great thinking to turn it into a part of a modern sweater set by pairing it up with a matching tank.





The Garter to Go shawl is quite a pleasant little piece. It's not easy to make a garter stitch project look polished, but this designer has succeeded, so much respect for that.





I'm just not liking the stripes on the Glimmers in Rust design. Maybe it's the colour combination that isn't working for me – why are designers so fond of that dreary tan? I'd like to see this done either in a different colour combo, or all in one colour, even if it's variegated.





I'm really impressed by the texture in the Ivory Leaves design. Just think, knitting designers have only two basic stitches to work with, yet after over 1000 years of knitting design they're still coming up with new effects. This sweater is going to be more than a tad on the bulky side, but it will be warm and it's certainly attractive.





The Triple Threat design looks to me like a Tetris game in progress. And I like Tetris, but I'm less than impressed with the sweater version. I don't like all those rough colour changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment