Monday 19 August 2013

Twist Collective Fall 2013: A Review

Twist Collective has released their Fall 2013 issue, which incidentally is their fifth anniversary issue. And it's a solid issue, with few very designs that I'd consider bad. My one complaint is that there are too many very standard, traditional patterns in this issue, patterns that (although they are perfectly competent and attractive and can't be faulted on their own merits) make me feel like I've seen them before or even recognize as a near replica of a pattern I already own. But let's have a look at the designs.





These are the Perfect Storm mittens. They're cute and innovative. I like the stylized wave design and storm-tossed sailboat.





The High Street cardigan is a nice, serviceable design.





The Vinland hat and mittens set are quite eye catching.





The Bosun pattern, which is otherwise a no-frills cardigan, manages to look quite innovative with the simple use of an all-over chevron pattern. I like it, and I especially like that the designer has taken the trouble to connect the chevrons on the top of the sleeve with the chevrons on the body of the sweater. Nice work!





The Ossel design is a fairly standard cable pattern dress, and not a terribly flattering one, though it looks warm and comfy.





The Trigonometric socks pattern is cute. The squiggles make a nice change from the usual cables.





I can't say I care for the boxy Sarannis jacket. It's not going to look good worn open, and it doesn't look all that good buttoned.





I do rather like the Bevel pullover, though I know I could never wear it — with that empire-like lines created by the stitchwork over the chest, it's not for the well-endowed woman.





The Ballast pattern is a lovely little tam and fingerless gloves set.





The Doverfell design is a goodie basic hoodie pattern with a bit of textural interest down the front. Do try to match the zipper better than has been done in this sample, though. The black one looks rather baldly utilitarian here.





The Doverfell design scaled down to a child's version. It works equally well in a smaller size.





The Farthingale is a wearable pullover with some interesting detail. The lacing effect on the sleeves and sides really stands out.





I like the Zigreta pullover, though I'm not sure the little split in the ribbing of the neckline is adding anything. The sweater is interesting enough without it, and it just seems like a distracting detail. It can be easily not included if you feel the same way.





The Cemara shawl is a gorgeous pattern, and it comes with three size options so that you can make a shawl to be worn in the way you like best. I seem to recall that Twist Collective has offered shawl size options in previous issues that I've reviewed, and it's a great idea.





The Charette design is a good example of a very traditional design. Women have been wearing sweaters very like this one for the last century.





The Periphery Shawl is another attractive and intricate lace shawl.





The Hawser pullover is another fairly standard but nice design.





The Cerris is another beautiful shawl with directions for knitting it in two different sizes. The elongated shape gives it a slightly different air than the usual shawl.





The Rafters design is another very traditional pattern, this time for a basic cabled cardigan. I must admit I do like a shawl collar, and this one sits very well.





The Morel hat and scarf is another competent and attractive yet quite standard design.





Ah, finally something that's a bit fresh and different. The Couronne cardigan is really cute. Great use of a variegated yarn, and having the floral motif run along the side seams is a really nice touch. I have my suspicions that this sweater might look a little shapeless through the lower body, but if that's the case you can always add a little waist shaping.





The Literati design is another very standard cardigan.





Very much like the Silverstone henley. The flattened-out cables are an interesting and unusual texture, and that's a good button choice that really elevates the whole sweater.





The Foxcroft design is another quite traditional pattern, though there are a few little unusual choices made here: the very open shawl collar and the broken lattice cable pattern on the front.





The Svanhild turtleneck is another traditional style, though I will say it's a stellar example of its kind. That cabled texture is beautifully intricate.





The Apple Catchers mittens are another basic pattern, although with very long wrists and very square tips. I wouldn't make them quite that long and I'd find a way to shape them more gracefully around the fingertips. They just look crude this way.





I love the two-tone patchwork effect of the Sweetspire shawl, though I can't say I personally care at all for the colours used here.





The Greystone shawl is beautifully textured, but I've got my concerns about its shape. How is that very long end going to look when it's actually on the wearer rather than flapping in the breeze?





The Topside pattern may have been so named to get your mind off how bottom heavy you're going to look in this sweater. This design is not only unflattering but just plain awkward looking.





The Gentian mittens design is just so pretty.





Love the graceful lacework in the Conflux sock pattern.





The Parure cardigan is quite attractive, though it's again fairly standard. I think I might take the cuffs in a slightly different direction if I were to knit this, either making narrower bands of pattern or copying the entire yoke pattern into the cuff band. They look a little out of proportion to me as they are.





The Underwing pattern is kind of neat, like a high-concept rendering of a butterfly, but I would so not make them in these Barbie's Dream House colours.





I was going to say I loved the detail on the front of the Hardanger jacket but didn't care for the shaping. Then I realized that the shaping is fine, but this beautiful, striking jacket has been victimized by some random, drive-by styling. This jacket is a statement piece and does not belong over a gathered calf-length skirt in hot pink. I'd put it over a tailored skirt or trousers in a neutral or dark solid colour, or even jeans. Just something simple and unobtrusive, at any rate.





The Penta shawl is lovely, with a more modern geometric textured look instead of the usual lace and cables.

1 comment: