Wednesday 13 June 2018

Pom Pom Quarterly Summer 2018: A Review


Pom Pom Quarterly has released its Summer 2018 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Anni. I like the stitchwork, neckline and sleeve edging, and colour palette, but this cropped boxy shape is going to be unflattering on most women.





Bayadere. The combination of three similarly coloured yarns, thin stripes, and garter stitch ridges on stockinette lend this pullover a surprisingly sophisticated and interesting effect.





Deauville. A simple, wearable, and not uninteresting piece for summer. That may sound like damning with faint praise, but it really isn't. It is so useful to have pieces of clothing that are simple enough to go with lots of other pieces, and yet have little details or design twists that keep them from being bland.





Herrera. I love the fantastic curving central stripe on this top, but I don't love the sad sack shape.





Judoka. This little tote bag is so very clever and visually striking. I suppose it wouldn't hold much, being only knitted and unlined, but it's such a treat to look at I almost don't care. And the styling in this photo is incredible, because the bag is the perfect finishing accessory for that supercute striped dress. If a woman passed me on the street in this smashing outfit I couldn't not notice her. I'd sneak at least several looks at her ensemble, and take mental notes.





Leiden. This isn't bad. I like the overall concept, with its Art Deco feel. I liked it better before I took a close look at it, because the stitchwork looks rough in spots.





Macklin. An understated contemporary wrap.





Nasreen. This one's rather fun in terms of its rhythmic visual curves, but this would likely be a difficult shape to carry off.





Riley. Ooh, nice. I like the subtle effect of the two similar shades and the overall design, with the framing effect created by the change of direction in the front panel. My one nitpick is that I'd neaten up the fit a bit, though this slightly oversized fit is fine too.





Tarmac. The combination of a cream and a charcoal yarn combined with a subtly two-toned I-cord trim is visually appealing, but I can't sign off on the shape of this tank top. It's going to look sloppy and unflattering on most women.





Vasarely. Another attractive contemporary-style wrap.

1 comment:

  1. Another knitting mag with hugely oversized knits on pencil thin models. This is not reality for 90 percent of us!!

    ReplyDelete