Monday 11 June 2018

Twist Collective May 2018: A Review


In today's post we're going to have a look at Twist Collective's May issue.





Sway. This unstructured, minimalist piece is not my kind of design, but I have to admit that that it seems to hang fairly well (important, because how much time is the wearer going to spend clutching it about herself?) and that the play of colour is visually interesting.





Gloxinia. A fabulous piece of lacework.





Petrina. A simple summer or layering piece with just enough detail to make it interesting.





Chilston. Another exquisite lace shawl.





Esplanade. This one is fun and smart and sporty, and very wearable.





Montpelier. Another beautiful shawl, with a modern twist in its stripe pattern. I'm not too thrilled with this colour palette (I think it's the yellow, which I'd replace with damn near any other colour), but that's easily corrected.





Prickly Pear. This has an unfinished and ill-fitting look. Finishing the edges would help it sit better at the bottom, and it could probably do with some waist-shaping.





Harlow. I particularly like this one. The stitchwork on the front has an Art Deco-like appeal.





Allium. Not bad. I think this is one I'd do in a more interesting yarn.





MacGregor. Nice piece. I like all the detail around the edges and up the sides. I think I'd fix those dropped shoulders though, which would both make the shoulders more flattering and neaten up the fit a bit.





Delphic Grove. The stitchwork in this wrap is gorgeous, and it drapes beautifully.





Bette. This one's a simple, wearable piece, though I think I'd neaten up the fit a bit. The edgings and the back buttoned style give it a bit of interest.





Talaitha. A fourth beautiful shawl. This one reminds me of an Edwardian chemise, probably because of the combination of white and eyelets.





Sunapee. This well-shaped and nicely detailed, and the split lace sleeves are interesting, though I'm not sure how wearable they'd prove. For me at least -- the one time I made a dress with split cap sleeves, I wound up stitching them together because I couldn't stand them flapping limply about and showing the wrong side of the fabric. These are split on the bottom, don't show their wrong side, and seem to hang pretty well, so I think they are pretty workable.

No comments:

Post a Comment