Monday 19 November 2018

Vogue Knitting Holiday 2018: A Review


Vogue Knitting has released their Holiday 2018 issue. Let's have a look at it.





#1 Brioche Striped Pullover. This is a creative and interesting new take on the striped sweater.





#2 Brioche Rib Cardigan. Great brioche stitchwork in this, and the shaping is passable.





#3 Two-Color Brioche Shawl. Beautiful! I love the two-tone effect and the stitchwork and the shape... and well, everything about it, really.





#04 Tuck Stitch Cowl. I like the tweedy, varied effect of this one.





#5 Two-Color Brioche Raglan Pullover. Not bad. I think there are happier colourways for this one.





#6 Balaclava. I'm afraid I'll never be able to get on board with the balaclava. It has such unfortunate associations: the Crimean War, convenience store robberies, prophylactics (not that condoms are to be classed with the first two items as a bad thing, but they aren't exactly known or valued for their aesthetic).






#7 Ridge-Pattern Hood. Cowls that can function as cowls are a far more attractive option than the balaclava. This pattern was originally published in 1986, and looks ahead of its time given that it can be worn as either a hood or a cowl, and knitted cowls were unknown back then.





#8 Ribbed Hood. The pom poms on this give it a court jester look.





#9 Deep Raglan Pullover. I'd neaten up the fit a bit.





#10 Lace Trim Swing Pullover. I know this is supposed to be a swing style, but I'd alter it to fit through the torso and hips. The swing silhouette is a difficult one to carry off.





#11 Dolman Long Cardigan. This is going to be unflattering on most women. It isn't even working on this professional model.





#12 Drop Shoulder Pullover. Normally I advise fixing drop shoulders, but in this case where the dropped shoulders are the titular and almost only distinguishing feature of the design, I advise going with another pattern.





#13 Triangle Fusion Shawl. A simple wrap with just enough technical detail that it looks polished.





#14 Striped Raglan Pullover. I really am liking the look of brioche stripes that's been a theme in this issue. And in this case I also love the colourway.





#15 String of Pearls Pullover. This is something different -- perhaps unsurprisingly, as it's from Nicky Epstein, who is known for her whimsical designs. I find myself liking it. It's more of a poncho than a pullover, though with better lines than is usual for a poncho, and the colourway and the inverted stripes and the "string of pearls" stitchwork all play together so well for an eye-catching look. But I would suggest making it with a cowl rather than a flat collar.





#16 Hat and Cowl Set. An attractive and wearable set. The stitchwork is good, and the narrow edging in a contrast colour adds so much.





#17 Yoke Cowl. This is such a smart, attractive cowl I can't help wishing the designer had kept going until it was a sweater.





#18 Arc Wrap. Love the sophisticated polish of this one.





#19 Coat Cowl. This cowl looks really good with a coat over it... and really awkward without it.





#20 Brioche Striped Cardi. I remember when this design was originally published in Vogue Knitting's Winter 1992/1993, and I have the issue in my knitting pattern library. I liked it then and I like it now.

5 comments:

  1. Ha! It’s as if the editors deliberately chose oatmeal for the palette of the patterns in the middle of your list, hoping that their boringness would be camouflaged by being made in a color that faded into nothingness. Most of the patterns at the top and bottom of the list are appealing. This is an issue of VK that I will buy — I average one issue every four or five years — because I have been wanting to try brioche stitch. Off to queue some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That "coat cowl" is a dickey by another name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i tried brioche when i was a beginning knitter and made a mess of it, i may try again with one of these cowls but i really didn't care for much in this issue. oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comment on the drop shoulder sweater made me laugh out loud! (Also agree)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find brioche very heavy, of course due to double layers. I can't help but think sweaters would be untollerably heavy.

    ReplyDelete