Monday 21 January 2019

Creative Knitting Spring 2019: A Review


Creative Knitting has released their Spring 2019 issue. Let's have a look all the delicate spring knits within, bearing in mind that as I wrote this review on a bitterly cold January afternoon in Toronto, I was forced to take to bed with a cup of hot tea on the night table beside me, and to type with slightly numb hands while keeping an ear out for a knock on the door, because my furnace wasn't working properly and I was waiting for a furnace company service person to show up. In other words, it was a little hard for me to get into a proper mindset for viewing light and lacy warm weather designs, but I did my best as a knitting reviewer should.





Bridler Pullover. Pretty and wearable little top.





Ingleside Tunic. This one isn't unattractive, but the sheerness of it and the long, narrow fit might make it less wearable and less likely to be flattering on many women.





Lipson Shawl. Some very nice stitchwork in this one.





Teresa Tee. Can't say I care for the bagginess of this one.





Headley Poncho. Gorgeous lacework, and it drapes well.





Laclede Scarf. I'm pretty sure the felted floral fringe on this one would give me a "cursed by a disgruntled witch" feeling and have me in a state of chronic fear that I was two minutes away from becoming a giant vegetable marrow, helplessly rooted to the ground by the fauna grown out of my former clothing.





Oakmont Shawl. Beautiful. It's hard to go wrong with a classic lace shawl.





Tacony Tunic. I actually love this look except for the crocheted flower on it, which has a chintzy look. Omit that and one would have a beautifully stitched asymmetrical tunic with considerable style.





Briarfield Vest. I just can't get on board with designs that involve a lot of bulky extra fabric. It's such an unflattering look. This one isn't even working on a professional model.





Bristol Cardigan & Blanket. I'm not sure this kimono needs to be as long as it is, but otherwise it's fine.





Copeland Cardigan. Not my favourite type of cardigan, but I must admit this does sit and hang well.





McKinley Cardigan. Not bad, but I would fix the dropped shoulders.





Baycrest Cardigan. Cute little cardi. The play of colour is so summery.





Laviere Shrug. This one has a "pieced together out of swatches" look.





Peacefield Pullover. I would like this one so much better if it were solid stockinette stitch rather than partly mesh. Mesh stitch always looks irretrievably "grocery bag"-like to me. Also, you can get weird-looking suntans/sunburns when you're wearing it. Ask me how I know this.





Rosselle Shawl. Another very attractive little shawl.

2 comments:

  1. The Laviere Shrug reminds me of a macaroni and yarn necklace. You know...the ones your kids make in school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see an example of the Lavier in a solid/tonal color rather than a gradient. It would cure the "patchwork" problem, and make it easier to judge the construction.

    ReplyDelete