Tuesday 1 January 2019

Knitty Winter 2018: A Review


Knitty has released its Winter 2018 issue. Let's have a look at it.





Isosceles. This one's quite sharp, with both graphic chartwork and textural interest. I like the use of an accent colour at the cuffs and hem too, but I think I'd omit the accent colour edging at the neckline.





Yoru. Love the detail on this one. The designer comments in the pattern how she admires the Japanese aesthetic of refined simplicity, and I think she's achieved that sort of delicate balance in this design.





Kiernan. This one has dropped shoulders, a mullet hem, and is a cropped length, which regular readers of this blog will know are not among my favourite things. I have to admit this woman, who is the designer, is kind of rocking the look, but I'd fix all those things and make a plain ol' turtleneck with ribbed sleeves in what looks like a lusciously warm and cozy yarn.





Paper Crane. The combination of an asymmetrical shape and a gradient yarn make for an offbeat, contemporary vibe that's not quite to my taste but is a rather fun and interesting look nonetheless.





Grayson. A polished and attractive wrap.





Opposites Attract. The combination of the bobbles and the swirls of colour make for a look a twenty-first century court jester might wear.





Glass Island. A fun, smart cowl to wear with a solid colour coat.





Black Lodge. Oooh, is this one ever striking. The combination of two gradient yarns and a chevron design really packs a punch.





Kilim. I like the woven rug-like effect of this design, especially in the cranberry and green colourway.





When You Are Gone. Love the "sail" motifs on the hat, and the line of colour at the edge, but not the yellow detail at the crown, which has something of the effect of a spider sitting at the back of the hat.





Programmer's Headgear. Even as someone who doesn't know how to code (but has done her share of tagging), I find this fun.





Braineater. For the cephalopod lover in your life who doesn't mind looking like a screencap from one of the more gruesome X-Files episodes! More seriously, this is a fun concept, and it's well-executed.





Spinal Twist. Not bad. The play of texture and colour make this cowl satisfying to look at.





Tufts. This one's a bit rough and ready for my liking.





Fingers Crossed. This is a handsome pair of mitts.





Go Big or Go Gnome. Very cute and a lot of fun, though I can't help wishing those gnomes had a little more detail. I'm not entirely sure I would have figured out that they were gnome motifs without being told.





Intermingle. Very handsome pair of cabled socks. I've dated a number of men to whom I've felt less attracted.

3 comments:

  1. The for of Yoru will make me pass up those details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your kind rewiew ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiernan really has that "oops I shrunk this in the wash" look. Still pretty.
    I love the isosceles sweater - overall all a very strong collection.

    ReplyDelete