Monday 19 June 2017

Creative Knitting Autumn 2017: A Review


Creative Knitting has released their Autumn 2017 issue. Let's have a look at it.





Boothbay Set Cover-Up. This is one of those designs from the "depressed and exhausted homeschooling mom of seven" category. I think I'd like it better if it weren't in such a blah tone and were layered over something more fitted.





Boothbay Set Top. This is one of those designs from the "depressed and exhausted homeschooling mom of seven who has baby spit up on her sweater and is too overwhelmed to care" category. I know that's more than a little unfair, as I have a bias against this sort of loose, empire-waisted top because they make me look horribly dumpy. When I'm making the effort to be more objective, I find that this could be a useful, comfortable piece for women with figures more suited to it. And again, it would help to not make the piece in yarn the colour of dirty oatmeal.





Crème Brûlée. This is much more my idea of a wearable, loose, comfortable sweater than the previous two. It's attractive, it has eye-catching detail and construction, and it's loose-fitting without making the wearer look swamped in excess material.





Ellie Top. This is quite pretty and classic, but I would fix the dropped shoulders.





Ipanema. The blurb for this piece says, "Always a flattering garment, this wraparound cardigan will highlight the natural waistline of the wearer, as well as accentuate the bustline." I can't say I agree with any of that. Wrap sweaters and dresses have an undeserved reputation in the fashion world for being easy to wear and flattering. I haven't had a wrap piece yet that worked for me -- the cut or the fit is always off, and it's an aggravating chore to keep the thing in place so that there aren't too many of my goods in the shop window. This wrap cardigan doesn't appear to even be working on the model. It looks bulky and sits poorly, and the bottom and sleeve edges look unfinished.





Make Me Blush. I rather like this one -- that's some nice detailing on the cuffs -- but I would neaten up the fit a little.





Black and Blocked. This has an unflattering shape and an unfinished, saggy look.





Block Party. This is rather sharp and well-shaped, though I think I'd skip the white trim on the edges of the sleeves, or perhaps take it in the other direction and stripe the cuff with the three colours.





Dancette. The blurb for this one says, "Shimmery yarn adds style and elegance to this sleek clutch worked in intarsia cable panels." I can't say that this clutch comes across as stylish, elegant, or sleek to me. It looks more like a small throw pillow I'd put on the couch than like an evening bag I'd carry when wearing black gloves and pearls. If I were going to knit an evening bag, I'd use a fine silk yarn and not include too much bulky detail, rather than knit something that makes me look as though my date had to pry me away from the couch for the evening.





Fun, Chunky & Fast Hat & Infinity Cowl. The name for this set is one I can agree with. This is a fun, smart set.





Graphic Houndstooth. Nice piece! I'm enjoying mentally playing with possible colour schemes.





Striped Asymmetry. I rather like this one, which has a pleasing visual flow. Another colourway would do more for it.





Nobis Wrap. Beautiful lacework.





Linear Elements. I like the contemporary, graphic vibe of this one.





Nebula. I like the gradient effect of this scarf, but those edges look too raw for my liking.





Playful Orchid. A fun and interesting piece.

3 comments:

  1. Creme Brulee looks pretty standing there like that, but those very loose sleeves make it totally impractical for any other use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the wraps - never work well. Have had many a malfunction. And really, that clutch? No.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always suspicious of wrap sweaters when the model seems to be concealing the waistline.

    ReplyDelete