Monday 15 January 2018

Knit Simple Winter 2017: A Review


In today's post, we're going to have a look at Knit Simple's Winter 2017 issue.





Pattern #1, Oversized Turtleneck. There's nothing objectively wrong with this one, but I'm pretty sure I'd feel like a lemon creamsicle in it.





Pattern #2, Textured Socks. I'm not quite liking the texture of these -- they don't look that good all stretched out on the leg.





Pattern #3, Shawl-Collar Cardigan. This one's a little too unstructured to work. The edges look as though they're turning under by accident rather than design.





Pattern #4, Cup Cozies. I've never seen the point of cup cozies, which are bound to get coffee, hot chocolate, and the like dripped or spilled on them and have to be washed.





Pattern #5, Hot Water Bottle Cover. Hot water bottles do make more sense, because they tend to be unattractive, and what's more attractive and more comforting than a hot water bottle in a cute little sweater?





Pattern #6, Cabled Poncho. This isn't bad, but as with most ponchos I can't help thinking it would look better as an afghan.





Pattern #7, Textured Pillows. Nice, useful piece, and would look good on many a couch.





Pattern #8, Lace Shawl. The lacework is beautiful, but when I've had rectangular knitted shawls like this I've always found them awkward to style.





Pattern #9, Fringed Blanket. Classic cabled afghan.





Pattern #10, Garter Stitch Cowl. This is as basic as it gets, but you can always upgrade it by making it in a beautiful, interesting yarn.





Pattern #11, Colorblock Hats. Classic striped caps are useful and a good way to use up odds and ends of yarn.





Pattern #12, Chevron Hat. That's an effective and interesting chevron pattern.





Pattern #13, Cabled Hat. Perfectly good standard cap.





Pattern #14, Fair Isle Hat. This is rather nice looking, though I would not describe it as fair isle.





Pattern #15, Bicolor Ribbed Hat. An interesting combination of texture and stripes.





Pattern #16, Pom Pom Hat. I don't much like the rolled edge on this one, which gives it an unfinished look.





Pattern #17, Tassel Hat. Not bad. I definitely like tassels more than pom poms, as I think them better suited to adults.





Pattern #18, Polar Bear Jacket, Hat, and Mitts. The mittens are cute, but I don't much care for the hat or jacket, which both have an awkward, cheesy look to them.





Pattern #19, Polar Bear Pillow. That is one square-looking polar bear.





Pattern #20, Bear Cub Hat and Pullover. This is rather cute without having the "trying too hard" look of the previous polar bear-themed sweater, hat, and mittens set.





Pattern #21, Scoop-Neck Pullover.
Nice texture, shaping, and gradient effect.





Pattern #22, Three Quarter Sleeve Cardigan. I rather like the inventive colourway of this one and the way the front edges sit, but the shaping through the body and sleeves is so loose and baggy that the overall look doesn't work.





Pattern #23, Narrow Shawl. Rather pretty. The edging pattern is interesting.





Pattern #24, Long Cowl. Pretty basic, but it'll do.





Pattern #25, Linen Stitch Scarf. I love the effect of linen stitch, but I'm not crazy about the colour palette used here. I'd also fringe this.





Pattern #26, Lattice Hat. A simple yet pretty effect.





Pattern #27, Swaddling Blanket. Not a bad way to keep your baby warm while still giving it room to kick and squirm.

5 comments:

  1. I love your observations...as usual! My 2 cents is that the model shown in pattern #22 and #23 is so thin that it distracts from the garment. Although I think #22 would look sloppy on a 'normal' sized person, her gauntness makes it look worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more comment on #22...I think those pockets look like they were included to give grandma a place to tuck her hankie rather than under her watchband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's time to let you know how much I appreciate you doing this. There are so many magazines out there that one has to spend a great deal of time paging thru them at the store to see if they are worth buying. While I don't always agree with your comments, I get your points. I bought the Winter Vogue Knitting you reviewed yesterday and wouldn't buy this edition of Knit Simple if it was free! I think 22 is one of the butt ugliest sweaters I have ever seen. Why do they chose this stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to be a little subversive here, I kind of like the style of #22, but the colorway sucks pondwater. Similar issue with #1. While I'm not so sure about the over-sized turtleneck, the colorway is so not for me (your point about the creamsicle is dead on). But, dang, I love the stitch texture in the body of the sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pattern #21: I've always felt that if the model has to contort herself (see: left shoulder), there's probably something wrong with the garment's fit. This one would probably slip off most women's shoulders. OK, maybe, if you have a tank under it, but...

    ReplyDelete