Monday 27 August 2018

Vogue Knitting Early Fall 2018: A Review


Today we're going to have a look at Vogue Knitting's Early Fall 2018 issue.





Pattern #01, Yoked Pullover. The yoke on this turtleneck is fabulous. What I wouldn't give to have a little more neck so that I might wear styles like this one.





Pattern #02, Tuck Stitch Yoked Pullover. Nice smocked effect on this one. It's a larger, looser fit than I would recommend, but it would be easy to make it a little smaller, and this is a design that suits a relaxed fit.





Pattern #03, Textured Yoke. Another comfy and attractive pullover. I'd neaten up the fit a little.





Pattern #04, Yoked Sweater. A very wearable, classic piece.





Pattern #05, Herringbone Tee. Not bad. This would be a bit on the thick and bulky side as to texture, but it has a certain smartness to its shape and gradient effect.





Pattern #06, Placket Neckline Poncho. I like the tweedy effect of the yarn, but I am sure I would find the shape cumbersome and unflattering. I'm not a fan of the poncho in general though, so your mileage may vary.





Pattern #07, Collegiate V-Neck. Cute and sporty little piece.





Pattern #08, Turtleneck Tunic. I rather like this one, which strikes me as a versatile piece that could be worn with trousers, leggings, or tights and boots. I would add a bit of waist shaping though.





Pattern #09, Gradient Cardigan. Not bad. The shaping is good, and I do like a gradient effect, though I think there are more interesting colourways to do it in.





Pattern #10, Hooded Poncho. Call me rigid, but I don't believe that one's knitwear should be large enough to house more than two people.





Pattern #11, Lace Dress. This one's an undeniable head turner, if not for the faint of heart.





Pattern #12, Cable Cardigan. The cabled texture is great, the lines of the design aren't bad, but I feel like this this one needed edge finishing and a front closure.





Pattern #13, Kimono Cardigan. This looks like neither a kimono nor a cardigan. This looks like an unfinished piece of knitting that's been slung around this woman's body.





Pattern #14, Openwork Tunic. This tunic can double as a shopping bag, but I think I'd use it solely as a shopping bag.





Pattern #15, Mesh Sleeve Pullover. A good, wearable piece. I like the idea of putting the texture on the sleeves.





Pattern #16, Tasseled Cowl. Not bad. As you can see from the photo on this pattern's Ravelry page, this cowl looks better when worn doubled around the neck. Wearing a cowl single strand like this tends to have that unfortunate "deflated inner tube" look.





Pattern #17, Buttoned Gradient Wrap. This one doesn't sit to advantage on the model, but I'm inclined to go easy on it because I like the colours and stitchwork.





Pattern #18, Poncho Fit Pullover. This one has a "frumpy thrift shop number from the 1980s" look to it.





Pattern #19, Ribbed Yoke. As soon as I saw this, I knew I'd seen it before, and indeed I had, as it originally appeared in Vogue Knitting's Winter 2001/02 issue, which I have in my collection. I liked the pattern then and I still like it, but I may need a little time to recover from the realization that a pattern from 2001 is old enough to "bring back".

2 comments:

  1. Pattern #5 Herringbone Tee-I just can't handle those sleeves...looks like a rectangle with a head hole and sides sewn up to make arm holes. It wouldn't be bad if it had fitted sleeves.

    Thank you again for your witty and on-target observations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pattern #1 is gorgeous! Thinking it might be possible to finish it with a crew neck. Wonder if it would look good. Long or short my neck can no longer handle anything around it, especially not wool. So turtlenecks are out for me for the duration. I love the yoke though. So maybe a crew.

    ReplyDelete