Monday 15 June 2015

Vogue Knitting Early Fall 2015: A Review


The preview pictures of Vogue Knitting Early Fall 2015 is up. Let's have a look at them, shall we?





Pattern #1, Shoulder Cowl. Simple but pretty and wearable. This would be a good pattern to showcase a beautiful yarn in your favourite colour.





Pattern #2, Fair Isle Hat. I think I'd like to see this one in a more defined colourway. The pattern looks more muddled than muted here.





Pattern #3, Tubular Scarf. Nice, but I'd make this a bit longer. That sample is an awkward length that won't stay put.





Pattern #4, Relaxed Cardigan Top. This design seems like a nice compromise between a shawl and a sweater. It sits well and will stay in place.





Pattern #5, Open Front Cardigan. This isn't a bad little cardi, but I do have my reservations about its proportions. It looks as though it was designed not to meet in the front, which generally makes a sweater look skimpy and/or too small.





Pattern #6, Two-Color Raglan Pullover. A bit basic for my taste, and the cropped length and lack of waist shaping aren't helping.





Pattern #7, Fair Isle Vest. Like this piece. The colourway is subtle and muted without being muddled.





Pattern #8, Cabled Wrist Warmers. Attractive and useful.





Pattern #9, Oversized Cowl. Good piece. It's very effectively styled here on this classic navy blue pea coat and on a model who can rock the red.





Pattern #10, Brioche Rib. This isn't bad. I'd leave the pom pom off if the intended wearer is over 25.





Pattern #11, Cocoon Coat. This coat looks very sharp here, but I would like to see it on a non-model who isn't striking a carefully angled pose, because I have my suspicions about how well it would play in a more realistic viewing.





Pattern #12, Square Scarf. Beautiful piece, though I think I would be tempted to let my couch wear it.





Pattern #13, Fur Jacket. This one has a bit of a "headless Muppet" look to it, and even the model can't lend it much style or grace.





Pattern #14, Cabled Pullover. Classic cabled design. Add waist shaping if it doesn't have any (and it doesn't appear to) to help counteract the bulky effect.





Pattern #15, Breton Pullover. An impeccable classic.





Pattern #16, Pullover with V-Inset. This isn't terrible or without interest, but there is a certain off-putting roughness to its stitchwork.





Pattern #17, Crew Neck Pullover. This reminds me of a stitch sampler. And it's a good, carefully finished piece, but I would be inclined to knit the front and the back in the same stitch to keep the look simpler and cleaner.





Pattern #18, Lightweight Pullover. Can't say I care much for this one. All those holes aren't pulling together thematically. And the dropped shoulders, lack of waist shaping, and oversized fit aren't helping.





Pattern #19, V-Neck Cardi. Nice little cardigan for summer wear.





Pattern #20, Boat-Neck Pullover. Quite like the stitchwork employed here, which has a very sharp overall effect. I'd raise the drop shoulders and neaten up the fit a bit though.





Pattern #21, Belted Cardigan. This has some good features — the sleeves and the upper back look terrific — but I'm not liking the shape, which will be difficult for a non-model to carry off, and that limp little collar just looks sad.





Pattern #22, Ballet-Neck Cardigan. Very appealing, wearable piece with good shaping and just the right amount of detail. Any woman would look good in this sweater as long as it fit her well.





Pattern #23, Multi-Directional Cardigan. I'm loving what I can see here (that lace across the back and sleeves looks fantastic), though I do have reservations about the sit of the front collar and whatever's happening in the lower front, which we can't see, though the back view shows that the sweater gets longer in the front.





Pattern #24, Fringed Cardigan. I'm a very hard sell on draped front cardigans, but this one sits so well and has such great texture and shaping that I have to applaud its designer.





Pattern #25, Deep V-Neck Cardigan. This one's nice on the whole, but I would run the buttons all the way to the bottom and alter the neckline. The sweater looks too unfinished this way.

1 comment:

  1. I am SO tired of cardigans designed not to meet in front...

    ReplyDelete