Thursday 25 August 2016

Vogue Knitting Fall 2016: A Review


Vogue Knitting has released their Fall 2016 preview photos. Let's have a look at them, shall we?





Pattern #1. Classic fair isle pattern, and this cape sits and drapes very well.





Pattern #2. Very smart take on the classic fair isle yoke sweater. I'd totally wear this myself.





Pattern #3. I like the fair isle pattern, and I know one must knit fair isle scarves in a tube so as not to have a wrong side, but finishing this scarf off with ribbed cuffs makes it look like the wearer tied a couple of extra sleeves around her neck.





Pattern #4. I like the fair isle pattern and the mitts, but the neck and sleeve shaping of this vest looks dowdy to me.





Pattern #5. Nice piece. I like the modern feeling combination of a fair isle front with a tartan back.





Pattern #6. Beautiful design, and the colour palette is fantastic.





Pattern #7. A very handsome cowl.





Pattern #8. Very pretty. I love the subtle shades of blue combined with that very pale pink.





Pattern #9. That's a pretty fabulous cushion.





Pattern #10. That middle section looks like a mistake. I think the problem was that it needed a more definite divider from the rest of the vest than a single hacky-looking garter stitch row.





Pattern #11. A polished, contemporary piece. I'd love to see this one done in colour blocks.





Pattern #12. Nice. A subtle but interesting pattern that will look well with many outfits and coats.





Pattern #13. I wasn't sure how I felt about the back slit at first, but I think it works. Given that the edges are well finished and the rest of the sweater is well-shaped and has good stitchwork, the overall look is that of a modern, feminine version of the tail coat, which is a great design direction, especially considering that one of the alternative paths is "mud flaps".





Pattern #14. Classic cabled sweater, updated with a sectional look.





Pattern #15. Beautiful stitchwork in this.





Pattern #16. Oooh, lovely. So flattering and polished.





Pattern #17. This one is very boxy and will be hard for most women to carry off.





Pattern #18. This one could have used a more finished-looking neckline to go with the sleeve cuffs and hem.





Pattern #19. Not bad, but I would raise those dropped shoulders.





Pattern #20. Very Gap-ish.





Pattern #21. Classic man's pullover.





Pattern #22. Some great texture in this one.





Pattern #23. Classic hat, though I don't know how many men would want that pom pom on there.

8 comments:

  1. I like #14 a lot but I'd cardiganize it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous stuff. Wish I could wear wool. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long time since I've wanted to buy an issue of Vogue Knitting, but this looks like a winner. Thanks, as usual, for your good review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super traditional looks. I see much more modern stuff on Ravelry. This could have been published in 1960.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #8 has a Bohus vibe to it -- nice.

    I love your review posts. I almost always get a chuckle, and have even, on occasion, purchased an issue after realizing it had some worthwhile patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #12 may get worked into mittens for next year's State Fair. The three that beat me in the textured class this year were all cables. I did lattice - need to step it up a bit, I guess.

    ReplyDelete