Wednesday 13 February 2019

Rowan Knitting & Crochet Magazine 65: Review Part Two


Today we're going to have a look at the second half of the patterns in Rowan Knitting & Crochet Magazine 65 (my review of the first 21 patterns from this issue can be read here.)





Owre. This design is classified as a sweater on Ravelry. I'd have put it in the poncho category, and I consider that as a poncho it's rather a success: it drapes well, the stitchwork is lovely, the sleeves will help it stay in place, and it has a certain romantic charm.





Fritzia. I don't find the yarn choices are working together too well here, but then that's an easy fix.





Regain. Can't say I care for the very open notch on the collar of this, as it just looks like a mistake. I'd put just a solid collar band on this, and also raise the dropped shoulder -- or just choose another pattern.





Penga. Rather a cute little topper. I'd fix the dropped shoulders.





Joni. Pretty, but I don't like those unfinished, curling edges.





Restore. This looks rather fetching from the back, but it falls in folds through the lower torso in front, which is not a flattering look on most women.





Yatlen. I'd like this better if there was more of it.





Katz. I love this one for its quietly sexy translucence and back detail. (A woman who doesn't want to wear just a bra underneath this can always go with a camisole or tank.) The shaping is perfect, and the line of contrast edging adds so much.





Purpose. This one's a bit too unfinished-looking for my liking.





Rakki. The stitchwork is beautiful, the drape is beautiful, and the shaping is a travesty.





Kinetic. These long, narrow cardigans do no women any favours.





Toorie. The rabbit and mushroom motifs look a little too cutesy to me to be really suitable for a grown woman, and this is in women's sizes only.





Marisol. Not a bad simple top. The lines of dropped stitches give it a contemporary feel.





Elementary. A bit blah and shapeless.





Mondrain. I would like this if it were longer, but this cropped length looks awkward even on a professional model.





Essential. Super basic tank.





Mucha. I like this one through the body and even through the shoulder/neckline area, but leg o' mutton belongs on a sheep and nowhere else.





Intrinsic. Simply shaped wrap with some handsome stitchwork.





Pia. Very much like this one. The design is original and eye-catching, and the shape and fit is loose enough to be comfortable while trim enough not to be sloppy.





Minimal. Classic eyelet cardigan.





Picasso. Not bad as to shape and stitchwork, but I don't like the unfinished edges, and I would be afraid this wouldn't hold its shape.

2 comments:

  1. Perfect! I just love all of this knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orange, you summed up my reactions to the above designs perfectly! I loved the two designs, too. The classic cardigan was fine, just not what I'd wear! Some of these "cutsey" designs are not for women!

    ReplyDelete