Wednesday 1 May 2019

Knitscene Summer 2019: A Review


Knitscene has released their Summer 2019 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Welded Lace Shawl. Interesting combination of traditional lace detail with a contemporary-style mohair stripe.





Beacon Fire Cardigan. There's some interesting texture and detail in this design, but I'm not convinced that it hangs all that well.





Butterfly Mitts. These are cute in a reasonably adult sort of way.





New Growth Hat. The pretty and well-executed embroidery is a nice touch.





Mended Heart Hat & Socks Set. What a cute set. These "darning style" embroidered hearts work so well against a simple colour block background.





Kindling Cardigan. I can't help but think this one would look better if it was actually big enough for the model.





Ignition Point Shawl. What gorgeous stitchwork.





Fused Market Tote. This unlined tote, with its skinny little straps, has no strength to it and will not hold much at all before it sags out of shape.





Flickering Pullover. This one would make quite a pretty and useful summer top.





Flash Point Top. This one has a fun, attractive look.





Exothermic Pullover. I'm a hard sell on both the cold shoulder look and very open weave knits, but this isn't a bad example of its kind. The shaping is good and the stitchwork is interesting.





Flames Shawl. Very pretty border on this one.





Diadem Effect Beret. The embroidery on this hat is supposed to resemble fireworks, but to my mind it bears a most unfortunate resemblance to amoebas, which appear to have mobilized and to be attacking the wearer's brain.





Combustion Shawl. An attractive contemporary-style shawl.





Sparks Top. For the woman who thinks of Daisy Duke as a fashion icon.





Sweet Spot Hat. Nice little knitted cap.





Prometheus Top. This one's a little post modern and unstructured for my tastes -- and I can never stand to have excess fabric flapping about me -- but I must admit I can think of a friend of mine with very contemporary tastes who could rock this. This design can also be worn as a scarf, and versatility always gets points in my book.





Plasma Shawl. Very effective use of the dropped stitch technique.





Oxidation Mitts. Decent mitts on the whole, but I don't think the embroidery adds much. I'd probably just replace it with a few stripes at the wrist.

1 comment: