Friday 28 June 2019

Cast On Summer 2019: A Review


Cast On has released its Summer 2019 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Ant Egg Dishcloth. I hate using knitted dishcloths (I find them unwieldy and they get so gross and gunky compared to a j-cloth, which can be rinsed clean), and don't particularly like the idea of associating insect eggs with my dishcloths, but this designer has tried something new with this project and the other two dishcloth patterns in this issue by experimenting with a hemp yarn rather than using the usual cotton yarn. She writes that she is a convert, that the hemp dishcloths "dry quickly and scrub dishes surprisingly well, and our prototype has not developed an odor. They would also be very effective for exfoliating!" If you like knitted dishcloths (and many people do), it may be worth trying a hemp yarn next time you're making some.





Barely There Chevron Scarf. That's an attractive lace pattern, though I can't say I think this colour scheme is doing the design justice.





Basketweave Headband. If this were hot pink and teal, it would look like something that is straight out of an 80s-era exercise video, and that should remain there.





Bobbles, Bobbles, Bobbles. Adorable!





Brereton Shawl. I like the contemporary vibe of this one.





Cable Column Pullover. The stitchwork is attractive, and the shaping is good, but it is always a bit of drawback to have to wear an underlayer with a sweater, as one would need to do with this one.





Clara's Wee Jacket. This jacket is so carefully shaped and finished, and the simple embroidered dragonflies are a nice touch.





Cowl With a Twist. This isn't a bad design at all, but it looks inside-out to me, and it's making me twitchy.





Crossover Hemp Top. This isn't terrible, but I would make it in a more interesting yarn, which is to say any other yarn but this one.





Easton Tunic. I am here for the combination of brioche, the Art Deco style detail, and this yarn.





Fibonacci Striped Sweater. This is a strikingly unusual colourway, and it works amazingly well, especially when combined with the saddle shoulder construction.





Fisherman's Rib Stadium Scarf. A simple and classic stadium scarf.





Gazley Circle. Not bad. The play of colour and the honeycomb-like stitchwork work together well.





Grace. I rather like this colourblocked dress, and want to see it in a fun colourway.





Hemp Summer Skirt. Here we have the boring crossover vest from earlier in this review paired with a skirt that reminds me of a forties-era lampshade. Though there isn't anything objectively wrong with either the vest or the skirt design, I'm not sure these two pieces do anything for each other -- they don't seem to belong together stylistically -- and I definitely wouldn't do either of them in the sample colourway.





Mitts With a Twist. Here we have the mitts version of the cowl above. Still not bad design-wise, still looks inside out, and still making me twitch.





Monaghan. I'm generally an easy sell on a Celtic cable design, and this cardigan is so wearable and attractive.





Rainstorm. Simple brioche scarf with a touch of colourblocking. It works.





Saffron and Curry Garter Step Dishcloth. The saffron and curry colour combination is giving me mild retina burn, but I do like the stitch used here.





Shifting Ribs Pullover. Not bad. I like the idea of using stripes in the centre to transition between the two blocks of colour.





Staghorn Vest. Here we have the cover design, and it was good choice for it, because both shaping and stitchwork are excellent and the result is lovely, especially in this robin's egg blue.





Summer Harvest Placemat and Trivet. I'm finding these quite appealing in a homey, crafty way, and am imagining them on a sunlit breakfast table with coordinating stoneware mugs and dishes.





Twisted Blocks Dishcloth. I like the stitch in this one.





Up and Down Cable Socks. A very attractive pair of socks, and I love the interlocking cable pattern used in it.





Waffle Check Socks. I like the sporty, groovy look of these, with their fun combination of the check pattern and striped gussets.

1 comment:

  1. Barely There Chevron Scarf - I do like the stitch work but when I saw it, I instantly thought - watermelon. Not a fan of watermelon themed accessories (at least not for adults)...but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete