Friday 27 September 2019

Pom Pom Quarterly Autumn 2019: A Review


Pom Pom Quarterly has released its Autumn 2019 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Fata Morgana. Nice classic piece. I like the combination of ripples and lace. The shaping is maybe a little on the boxy side, but that's easily remedied.





Seelig. Fabulous contemporary-style wrap. This one would work well sized up to afghan size too.





Astragal. Some lovely detailing on the yoke, hem and cuffs of this one. It's not a particularly flattering shape -- even on this professional model -- but again, shaping is an easy fix on a standard design sweater like this one.





Aphotic. A very handsome piece. Quite like the texture and fair isle yoke.





Eventide. This one is a little too doily-esque for me, and the shape isn't flattering.





Isobue. This wouldn't normally be my type of design (asymmetry usually makes me twitchy), but I think it works. It's both visually interesting and pleasing to look at, and I like the soft yet sophisticated palette. Do make sure your version fits the intended wearer, though. Gaping button bands are never a good look.





Timbre. A nice cap with some subtle stitchwork. This is a mohair silk blend yarn, and the photo all but gives me the feeling of how soft it is.





Trove. Not bad. I think I'd go with a more lively colourway, and fix those dropped shoulders.





Columella. Classic cabled wrap.

5 comments:

  1. Hallelujah! Another person who thinks Gaping Button Bands are inexcusable. I see so many professionally staged photos of cardis with this feature and always wonder WHO thinks this is a good idea? Get a smaller model, for crying out loud, or hire a sample knitter who knows how to place buttonholes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Seelig wrap is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Seelig!

    I agree about the button gap - but the sweater otherwise is too big for the model. It somehow is too big everywhere but the button band where it's too small.

    ReplyDelete