Monday 8 June 2020

Vogue Knitting Spring & Summer 2020: A Review


Vogue Knitting has released their Spring & Summer 2020 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





#01, Structure. This is the first of six designs in what Vogue Knitting is calling a capsule collection. This piece is certainly the kind of reliable, versatile piece that works well in a capsule wardrobe. I'm not crazy about the mullet hem, but otherwise it's a classic that could be styled in any number of ways, and worn nearly anywhere.





#02, Staple. This is the kind of piece I'd rather buy than make because I find them tedious to knit and because knit tops like this are so readily available, but if you like a simple project and/or are really committed to making as many of your own clothes/gifts as you can, it's certainly a good t-shirt design as to shape and finish.





#03, Integral. This one's a little too minimalist for me, so much so that it looks unfinished, but the overall style has a "Mary Tyler Moore goes contemporary" vibe, and a woman could certainly do worse.





#04, Foundation. Knit skirts can be a challenge, but I think this one may pass muster. The shape is streamlined and classic, and the ribbing should help it keep its shape.





#05, Key. Good stitchwork and shape. I'd be inclined to add buttons and buttonholes, but then open front cardigans never sit well on me -- it's a boob thing.





#06, Elemental. Lovely.





#07, Zaffre. I like this on the whole -- the lace samplers and the lace and ribbed stitchwork used as edging makes for a good look -- but I'm not crazy about the notched collar, which comes across looking more bug than feature.





#08, Majorelle. Love the stitchwork in this. The shape is too boxy for my liking, but this is one of those linear designs that would be hard to reshape.





#09, Aegean. Love the "Edwardian blouse gone modern" vibe of this one. Maybe in my next life I'll have enough neck to wear it. I will say this design doesn't look all that practical for summer, as it will require an underlayer.





#10, Deep Dive. This is so beautiful I think I may have just found my wedding dress (and now I just have to find someone I'd care to marry). Both stitchwork and shape are excellent.





#11, Cable Trellis Dress. This is "from the archives" pattern, and was first published in VK's Spring/Summer 2002 issue. As soon as I saw the photo on Vogue Knitting's website I knew it was a re-run, and that I already had the issue it originally appeared in on my shelves, and it turns out I do indeed. It's a timeless piece that could have been worn to advantage at any time these past eighteen years.





#12, The White Way Cabled Pullover. This is the sweater version of the dress above, and the design concept works equally well in sweater form.





#13, Ripple Dress. This crocheted dress has excellent shaping and stitchwork like the "Deep Dive" dress above, but then again, it is crocheted, and the odds of my voluntarily crocheting myself an entire dress are about the same as my ever getting married. This dress does have a rather bare effect, which can be either a pro or a con, depending on your perspective.





#14, Conscious. This is a fun, contemporary take on the Breton stripe sweater, but I would nix the mullet hem.





#15, Curve. The colour and the styling give this lace shawl such an eye-catching, modern look.





#16, Reversal. Such a fun, energizing play of colour and texture in this one.





#17, Departure. The yarn for this shawl is Koigu Painter's Palette Premium, and having daubed more than a few palettes with paint myself, I have to agree that it's well named. The play of colour fascinates me, and the lace pattern and shaping is attractive as well.





#18, Tweed Chevron Pullover. I like the chevron stripes, but not the boxy fit. I'd neaten up the fit on this one considerably -- fortunately this is one of those designs that won't be compromised by a reshape. Honestly, the only things that ever look good to me in boxes are the goodies I order online and could hardly wait to have arrive.

3 comments:

  1. I do like a lot of these garments, including #1 Structure. But I have a feeling that a piece like that would look very lumpy and bumpy on someone who wasn't fairly thin..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and I appreciate your magazine reviews! Thank you for all your time and effort you put into your blog. I love the dress you choose for your wedding dress, I'm going to show it to my soon to be daughter in law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I love your reviews

    ReplyDelete