Monday 27 July 2020

Knitty Spring & Summer 2020: A Review


Today we're going to have a look at Knitty's Spring & Summer 2020 issue.





Rullskridsko. A classic Fair Isle design. I'd make this one in a higher contrast palette, but that's not to say that this low-key colourway isn't attractive too.





Grapefruit Splash. This one would make a nice layering piece if, like the designer, you find yourself chilly in an air-conditioned building. The stripes and the contrast border make for such a fun, casual look.





Green Machine. I'd add a little waist-shaping to this one as it has a squarish, unflattering shape as is. I don't think I'd neaten up the fit, though, as one wants clothing to be loose in summer.





Bowknot Blue. Nice texture, but the shaping isn't flattering. I'd raise those dropped shoulders and add waist shaping.





Tigerwheet. This has a "I made it in home economics class and didn't finish it but convinced the teacher I meant to do it this way in order to pass the course" look to it.





Bidicot. This one would make a fun accessory for a plain outfit, but I'm not thrilled with how those edges look.





Peri Peri. This asymmetrical shawl seems to drape well and has a pretty lace pattern on it.





Noland. This is a lovely confection of a piece. The lace and the yarn are beautiful, and it has a such a delicate, graceful look. I'd be inclined to neaten up the fit on the body a little -- though I'd still leave it loose-fitting -- but it is fine as it is. it drapes well, and such a lightweight piece will never look bulky on the wearer.





Phiolet. Fun socks, even if the idea of wearing mismatched socks makes me twitch uncontrollably.





Farrago. These would be fun way to showcase a self-striping yarn.





The Ombis. I'm not a fan of mesh-like knitting as wearing apparel. The look is too shopping bag. This one looks like Ursula the Sea Witch's shopping bag -- if Ursula cared about reducing, reusing, and recyling, that is, which I doubt.

4 comments:

  1. Farrago would be an easy concept to render in toe-up, as well. Favorite toe-up cast on, follow the slip stitch instructions for the stripes in the foot part (or not if you prefer smoother feet); simple short row heel, then follow the slip stitch instructions for the ankle until it was the desired length.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rullskridsko --- please do call this technique "stranded knitting" not "FairIsle"

    this is such a common and stupid error - stranded knitting is the technique and "FairIsle" is a regional style with clear standards

    but you americans always mismatch it ... please do care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh dear, that's nit-picking. And Icall them Norwegian Patterns. Shows how silly I am. A born Swede, Swiss by marriage and Australian by choice.

      Delete
    2. This blog is written by a Canadian. I would think mixing up Canadians and Americans (I assume you mean those from the USA), is a bigger mistake than calling stranded knitting "FairIsle".

      Delete