Wednesday 26 June 2013

Rowan Knitting & Crochet Magazine 54: A Review, Part 1

Rowan has published Rowan Knitting & Crochet Magazine 54, so let's have a look at the patterns in it. As always, I'll be reviewing half the designs today and the other half tomorrow, as there are always oh-so-many designs in Rowan's magazines. This, of course, is an accomplishment on Rowan's part and great for you the purchaser, but a little bit of a strain for a reviewer.





I initially thought the Crystal pattern was a shawl and was about to review it as a shawl when I realized that this design is a "wrap sweater" — the shawl is actually the collar of the sweater. And I'm not that enthusiastic about that idea. The sweater part looks a little on the shapeless side and the shawl collar is going to add bulk to a woman's front, and she doesn't have the option of just slipping it off, say at lunch, if she's too warm and/or doesn't want to risk spilling soup on it. But that's one gorgeous shade (I do love a soft gray blue) and Kidsilk Haze looks like a beautiful yarn.





The Shannon pattern doesn't even flatter this model and that means bad things for most of the rest of us. The cropped length is always a challenging one to begin with and that wide band of stitchwork through the midsection makes this an impossible item to pull off. If you like the rest of this sweater, lengthen it and perhaps just add a few rows of that textured stitchwork around the bottom or narrow band of it at the waistline.





Oversized collars can be dramatic, such as this one on the Stacy pattern, but oversizing at the hips is just unflattering and sloppy looking. If you want to make this item for yourself, make sure it isn't either too long for your body or too wide for your hips.





The Wendy Wrap looks like an afghan. A nice, textured afghan suitable for an understated comtemporary décor and for snuggling under while reading a book on a stormy afternoon, but an afghan nonetheless, and shawls and afghans should be two distinctly different entities.





The Melissa pattern is a basic but not bland pattern. It has an eye-catching texture and, although I'm not a fan of the cropped sleeve length, in this case it was the right choice because it gives this design the lift it needs. If a crew neck and cropped sleeve length suit you, this is a sweater that will serve you well.





I like the Laura pattern, which has a good shape to it and would be practical and comfortable to wear. Do be aware that given that this item is ribbed and knitted in an Aran weight it will have a bulky look.





The Mary didn't quite get to where it was going, so I'd suggest a couple of tweaks. I think a pattern this graphic doesn't really work in these subdued neutrals and I'd try something sharper and higher contrast. And I'm not crazy about the dropped shoulders on this pattern, but that's easily fixed.





Quite like the Christine pattern! The classic shape really sets off that amazingly well-rendered cheetah on the front. I love that it's in an interesting pose rather than just face to face with us. This is how you do an animal sweater for a grown up who wants to wear an animal sweater without feeling or looking five years old. If the cheetah were my totem animal (and I had enough neck for a turtleneck), I'd be all over this one.





The Sharon sweater isn't without a certain interest, but between the weight of the yarn, the bobbled texture, and the oversized shape, man is this sweater going to be bulky and unflattering. You could reshape it to a standard fit, but contrary to what Meatloaf told us, two out of three can still be pretty bad.





The Sherry design has its good points (the neckline, the crochet edgings, the lace panel in front), but putting those pleats in the front was intended to give the sweater some waist definition and style and succeeded just made the sweater look rucked up around the waist and no less bulky overall. The only way to eliminate bulk at the waistline is to get rid of the extra material at the waistline.





I like the Erin pattern from the front, but the description says there's a "split back opening" and I have no idea what I might be signing off on because there doesn't seem to be a back view photo available, either on this site or on Ravelry. So I'll just say cautiously that I like the front. You'll have the option of making the waistband narrower if you don't like emphasizing your waistline.





I like the Angela design. It's a sweater that will go anywhere and with anything that a standard turtleneck can, but will look like a more interesting choice.





The Holbein sweater reminds me of a sweater in one of my knitting fables posts, the one I made a varicose vein joke about. This one isn't quite so lurid, but I still don't think contrasting cables are a terribly good idea on a man's sweater. This might work if the whole sweater had been knitted in the same colour.





I quite like the Nepal Wrap. The stripe pattern and the colours look really good; they're eye-catching yet neutral at the same time. I am not sure how this wrap stays in place (do the tassels get tied together?) but however it's been put on it works.





The Anatolia design looks a little busy for my tastes. I think doing a Fair Isle with both atypical patterns and atypical colours put it slightly over the top and that perhaps dialing back the colourway while keeping the innovative patterns would make for a more attractive item.





The Ukraine pattern is a good one. It's cropped with a deep waistband, but both of those things can be easily changed to suit the wearer if needed.





I very much like the Armenia pattern, with its delicate floral pattern. But I would consider changing the colourway, specifically the oatmeal background colour, to give it a fresher and more uplifting look.





The Soumak Scarf Wrap is really very striking, if you're the type of person who can carry off a dramatic wrap like this (and can stand to do the constant adjustments). If you're not that person but love the design, buy twice as much yarn as specified in the pattern and make a beautiful afghan.





I think the Bodrum Mens pattern is successful as a design, but that colourway isn't doing it any favours. Warm and cool shades really shouldn't be mixed together. A different and better colourway would take this sweater those extra few miles to the finish line.





I wish I could see what's really going on with the Dhurrie design. It looks like it's essentially a cape with a matching scarf worn over top. I'm not crazy about that concept. Capes can be unflattering as it is; adding another bulky element to it is not going to improve matters. If you want to make this set for yourself, I'd suggest you wear them separately.

Look for part deux of the Rowan Knitting & Crochet Magazine 54 review tomorrow morning!

1 comment: