Monday 21 August 2017

Knit Simple Fall 2017: A Review


Knit Simple has released its Fall 2017 issue! Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Cute simple cap.





The combination of the colour and the shaping gives the impression that this woman is sporting a particularly friendly squid.





This scarf needs a fringe.





This scarf could also use a fringe.





I like faux fur pom poms, but not on this particular hat and scarf set, which are a little too rough-looking to be a good match for it. This set would have been better served by tassels worked in the same yarn.





Kind of fun for the under 25 set.





Not a bad capelet, for all it's so simple. The shaping is good, there's some texture, and the colour is beautiful.





A very effective tartan check effect, created with just garter stitch.





This one's pretty striking. I'm enjoying imagining all the different colour schemes this could be done in.





This afghan is also nice. I'm liking that the designer used one solid and one variegated yarn, which gives the piece more visual interest than two solids would have.





I quite like the visual effect of loosely interwoven strips, but not the colour scheme.





I don't feel that I can properly assess this one, given that I can't see the front. It's not a bad pullover from what I can tell.





A handsome scarf and cap set.





Very basic socks.





An attractive, classic vest.





The caption above this sweater says, "Flattering silhouettes in wear-with-everything shades." I don't disagree that the colourway is attractively neutral, but that is not a flattering silhouette or shape.





A very decent cabled cardigan.





Not a bad cardigan, but I would fix those dropped shoulders.





This isn't sitting particularly well -- it has a bulky effect.





I quite like this one. The shaping is good and that diagonal cable effect is interesting and effective.





Not bad overall, but I would neaten up the shape a bit.





A nice shawl with some good stitchwork.





An attractive shawl design that deserved to be made with a more attractive yarn.





This striped shawl is pretty and eye-catching.





I'm very much liking this one. It never fails to surprise me how much varying stripe widths can do for a striped pattern's visual interest.





This fluffy heart-shaped pillow would be a cute and useful piece for a child's room.





I like the stripes on this pullover's sleeves, but the heart on the front looks a little too crude. I'd improve the shape of the heart and knit it into the front of the sweater.





This hat and mittens set isn't quite pulling together. I'd make them both in the same main and contrast colours, put smaller hearts on the back of the mittens, and skip the picot trim on the mitten cuffs.





Cute set. I spent a minute debating whether I might work those hearts into the scarf with intarsia, but the appliqué effect is cute as well.

2 comments:

  1. I bought this magazine for the shawl patterns and quite liked the cabled cardigan as well. As usual, your review is spot on. The orange scarf does have a squid like presence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely reviews here. Shame about that cowl neck cardi.

    ReplyDelete