Wednesday 17 May 2017

Cast On Summer 2017: A Review


Cast On has released their Summer 2017 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Baby Fingers Blanket. An attractive and usable baby blanket, but the name of this item does give me a slight case of the heebie jeebies.





Disrupt. Lovely scarf. It's reversible too.





Dropped Petals Crescent Shawl. Some very attractive stitchwork in this.





Fairlane Tee. Interesting piece with a contemporary feel.





Fan Lace Cowl. Beautiful.





Fibonacci Fun Shawlette. I'm not too taken with this one, probably because it strikes me as unfinished-looking. I think it needs an edging of some sort.





Marled Boxy Top. Unflattering and boring.





Pataya. Flattering and pretty. The side detailing is a nice touch.





Quatrefoil Shawl. Exquisite.





Scandinavian Candle Coat (left) and Shetland Candle Coat (right). These are pretty, but the idea of putting any sort of knitted shades on candles (or even other light sources, such as electric lamps) makes me nervous. I've heard a story of an unattended candle -- that was on a ceramic dish -- setting fire first to the table on which it sat, and subsequently the wall the table stood against, and knitted items are surely more flammable than wooden tables and drywall. If you are going to put knitted shades on your candle holders, please be absolutely sure never to leave the candle unattended for any length of time.





Spring at Last. Nice socks.





Swarm of Wasps Top and Swarm of Wasps Skirt. I very much like this ensemble, which has a certain "retro gone modern" vibe, as though a classic thirties knitwear pattern had been revamped to give it a contemporary edge. Though I do have reservations about the fact that this pattern calls for worsted yarn. I'd adjust the pattern and knit it in a fingering weight.





Upper Yosemite Fall Shawl. Fabulous lacework.





Waterfall Cardigan. This looks quite good here, as the shaping is good, the lace is pretty, and the yarn drapes well, but I do have my suspicions regarding how well this cardigan will sit and remain in place on an actual woman in real life.

4 comments:

  1. I just read yesterday that wool is naturally flame retardant. A quick Google search bears that out. But still...candle cozies???

    Your comment about the baby fingers made me think of the time we were in Holland. My husband told me the little cobbles in the road were called "kinderkopjes", which means "children's heads."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby Fingers is bad as a name, but surely Swarm of Wasps is worse??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps the candle cozies are to be used on battery operated candles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could always use the candle cozies as more traditional beer cozies. The candles look about the same size as a can of beer.

    ReplyDelete