Wednesday 24 October 2018

Knit Simple Holiday 2018: A Review


Knit Simple has released its Holiday 2018 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Pattern #1. Very pretty, and the yarn gives it such a luscious, luxurious look.





Pattern #2. This one's attractive, though I don't believe I'd wear it with evening wear. It has a too sensible, too cozy look for that.





Pattern #3. This open front cardigan sits well and would be very wearable.





Pattern #4. Good lines and detailing.





Pattern #5. Nice stitchwork.





Pattern #6. This one needs a little more oomph. I would have done a little more with the centre line of detail on this one, or put it in a slightly more interesting yarn.





Pattern #7. This would be a cute accessory for a child's room.





Pattern #8. Cute and fun!





Pattern #9. I like the idea of a unicorn scarf and mittens, but not this particular execution. That's one sad attempt at creating a unicorn's face. It looks less like a unicorn than a depressed albino donkey wearing a mutant carrot for a horn because it's tragically focused on trying to be a unicorn rather than learning to love itself for the special living being it actually is.





Pattern #10. This unicorn's face is slightly better, but not enough better. I suppose the pom poms are to hide the bottom of the horn, but they don't make any sense visually and I'd put more rainbow fringe there instead.





Pattern #11. A very decent-looking cowl.





Pattern #12. Basic but wearable cap.





Pattern #13. Very basic cowl. Which I would not style over a suit jacket.





Pattern #14. The least little tweak to the basic stripe can make it look fresh.





Pattern #15. Nice set with an interesting play of colour.





Pattern #16. A slightly different construction adds to the interest and style of this hat.





Pattern #17. This one needs a fringe. It's too plain as is.





Pattern #18. A decent pair of mitts, and they look like they'll fit well.





Pattern #19. A little too basic.





Pattern #20. These are rather appealing, but I'm not sure I'd use them. I don't set my yarn out in decorative baskets and I'm not sure what I would put in these. I suppose that, as when acquiring any sort of organizational device, the key is to know what one plans to use it for before buying or making it.





Pattern #21. At the risk of sounding like a traitor to our craft, I'll just say that crocheted baskets are better than knitted ones as they'll hold their shape better.





Pattern #22. This would be an inexpensive way to dress up a recycled storage canister. Clean up an empty tin can or jar and crochet it a custom-sized cover that matches your decor using stash yarn.





Pattern #23. As I said above, it's a good idea to know what you want to store in the basket before you crochet the basket. Even Knit Simple is running short of ideas as to what to put in their set of crocheted baskets.





Pattern #24. Making your own hanging basket covers could be a way to free up some surface/shelf space and cover up a recycled plant pot, but I do believe I could crochet a more interesting hanging pot cover than these.





Pattern #25. Simple but sharp blanket. I'm not clear on what's in the baby's hand.





Pattern #26. A classic ripple blanket and block.





Pattern #27. A contemporary-style ripple blanket and block. I'd go with this one in preference to the one above, as it has a fresher, more attractive look than the granny-style ripples above.

1 comment:

  1. #16 looks like she is wearing a bath mat. A shame as most of the other patterns are quite wearable, although #23 looks as if they should have turned it around before the photo.

    ReplyDelete