Friday 26 October 2018

Rowan Knitting & Crochet Magazine 64: A Review


Rowan Knitting & Crochet Magazine has released issue 64 of their magazine. Let's have a look at it.





Abbotts. This one's an unholy hybrid of a vest and a wrap, and it actually works surprisingly well and would be a pretty wearable way to add a warm layer to an outfit.





Alizarin. Some great texture in this coat, and I like the scalloped edges.





Beacon. The cowl in this product shot is a separate piece from the cardigan. They look pretty good worn together and with the cowl doubled, but the cowl doesn't look good worn single fold (admittedly cowls don't usually look good that way), and I can't get a sense of how the sweater looks by itself from the available photos.





Butlers. Nice cabled mitts.





Carise. Nice chartwork, but I'd reshape this one as cropped and wide is a difficult shape to wear.





Carmine. I rather like this one with its striking pattern and blanket fringe, and it looks ever so warm and comfortable. I would fix the dropped shoulders, though I'd leave the armholes larger as this needs to fit over other things in a roomy fit. This is a coat that will go with a limited number of outfits, but look what it does for a plain t-shirt and jeans.





Carnelian. This doesn't sit particularly well.





Chota. I'd shorten the proportions of this one, both regarding total length and the length of the v-neckline, as it has a dowdy look as is. Nice stitchwork though.





Cinnabar. Beautiful and inventive pattern, and the lines are good.





Claret. What a striking, attractive pattern.





Falu. Classic cabled wrap.





Folly. The adapted chartwork from the Carise design above makes for a nice-looking cowl.





Fowberry. I'd fix the dropped shoulders on this one, and perhaps add a cuff or a band of the body stitchwork to the sleeves to pull this look together a bit more.





Garnet. I'd reshape this one to look more like it was designed for the human form. There are batwing designs that work, but this doesn't happen to be one of them.





Gazebo. The shape is good and the star motif is very pretty. I'd expect no less given that this is a Kaffe Fassett design.





Hensting. A classic, wearable piece.





Houghton. The bobbles make for a fun, modern look to this cowl.





Juliaca. Very lovely stitchwork in this one. I'd lengthen this as cropped sweaters look awful on me, but some women can carry off the cropped length so your yarnage may vary depending on whom the intended wearer is.





Lightfoot. I tend to see bobbles as something that should be employed sparingly. This jacket would make me feel as though I'd been encased in bubble wrap.





Magenta. Love the stitchwork and the lines are good.





Maroon. Very pretty. That floral pattern is just so sweet.





Marshwood. I like some parts of this, such as the beautifully pattern used through the body and sleeves, but this one isn't quite pulling together as a whole. I think it would work better with a more analogous colour scheme. Putting dissimilar patterns and colours that don't really work together tends to result in a visually conflicted piece.




Mayfield. Nice wrap with some very pleasing stitchwork.





Pennybridge. I can't get past the feeling that this sweater was slashed open down the front and then badly tacked together again.





Perinone. This is the cover look, but of course the waist-up version on the cover doesn't do justice to the entirety of the design. This full-length wrap is not only lovely but brings the drama as few knitted items do, and it drapes and hangs well even in the photos where the model isn't twirling.





Popham. Not bad. The sleeve detail is interesting and the shape is good. I would like a more finished-looking cuff, and I wish I could see the neckline.





Pucallpa. A lovely, even elegant, wrap. The stitchwork is attractive and the alpaca yarn looks luxuriously soft and warm.





Redwood. I don't mind the cable and seed stitch detail on the sleeve, but I'm finding the waist cable an awkward look.





Rosewood. As I look at this, I can't help concluding that there are more graceful and attractive ways to design the tie a front-tie sweater. This woman has the look of an awkwardly wrapped present.





Rosso. Pretty and looks like it would feel luxurious and special to wear.





Rust. I must say, this design is as close to elegant as variegated ripples will ever get. It actually looks like a stylish wrap rather than like an afghan with pretensions.





Sangria. Love this one. I think you couldn't help but notice this one if someone wearing it walked by you on the street.





Tarma. This one hangs awkwardly in both the product shots that are available for it, which is not a good sign.





Teesdale. Interesting combination of patterns.





Venetian. Classic lace scarf.





Vermillion. Love the colours and the stitchwork in this crocheted scarf, but I might scale down the size of it a little. This model looks a little overwhelmed by it, and remember models tend to be quite tall and have long necks.





Woodbine. This is a fun, lively scarf. I'd put a fringe on it to make it look a bit more polished.

No comments:

Post a Comment