Friday 19 October 2018

Noro Magazine Issue 13: A Review


Noro Magazine has released their thirteenth, or Fall 2018, issue. Let's have a look at it. Please note that for some reason this issue lists 11 pattern pages on Ravelry, and even of those 11, five don't have pictures on their pattern pages, and one (#03, Textured Rib Raglan) has two pattern pages, so I will only be able to provide Ravelry links to ten of the 36 patterns in this review.





#01, Leaf Afghan. This is an interesting and unusual concept.





#02, Mosaic Poncho. Lovely and eye-catching.





#03, Textured Rib Raglan. This is attractive and wearable enough.





#04, Ribbed Batwing Pullover. This one has interesting lines. I'd like to see it from some other angles before I really sign off on it, but it looks like it might just prove a unique and attractive piece.





#05, Rhombus Panel Vest. This is very seventies, but it's wearable.





#06, Striped Cardigan. Very pretty.





#07, Diamond Rib Hat. A classic striped and cabled cap.





#08, Fingerless Mitts. A decent pair of mitts. I find the soft, grayish shades of this yarn appealing.





#09, Cowl. Love the yarn used on this one.





#10, Pillows. The play of colour in these two pillows makes them, because technically speaking they couldn't be more basic.





#11, Eyelet Triangle Shawl. Pretty!





#12, Shawl. Lovely.





#13, Steeked Poncho. Not bad as to design, but I think I'd use some other colour than brown for this project, as the brown yarn gives this poncho an unfortunate resemblance to the poo emoji.





#14, Plaid Ruana. Gorgeous stitchwork in this one, though it does look rather heavy for a wrap. I'd be inclined to leave this one on the couch.





#15, Fringed Poncho. This is not bad for a poncho, and the stitchwork is excellent.





#16, Chevron Wrap. Rather pretty.





#17, Big Granny Afghan. The colours on this one make it attractive.





#18, Granny Quilt Afghan. I quite like this triangle block concept for an afghan. It's a refreshing change from the usual squares, and the resulting scalloped border is kind of cool.





#19, Buttonhole Scarf. Passable. I'd fringe this one.





#20, Circle Scarf. I'd fringe this one too. Scarves need to look like scarves, not like swatches randomly wrapped around their wearer's neck.





#21, Chrysanthemum Shawl. This looks more like an afghan than a shawl, though it would make a nice afghan.





#22, Flower Blossom Purse. This one's way too kitschy for my taste.





#23, Block Texture Pullover. Not bad. It could do with some waist-shaping and a finished hemline.





#24, Cable Yoked Pullover. Pretty.





#25, Textured Pullover. Fix those dropped shoulders and neaten up the shape and this would be a decent pullover.





#26, Short Row Sweater. I really love the directional panels in the front, which is an interesting concept that works especially beautifully with this yarn. I would fix the dropped shoulders.





#27, Oversized Textured Pullover. There's oversized and there's sloppy. Guess which one this is. And the shoulder seam is halfway down the sleeve, sigh. Tidy this one up and it would be a perfectly attractive turtleneck.





#28, Oversized Cable Top. Again, too big and too dropped as to the shoulder, but otherwise fine.





#29, Beach Tote. Rather a nice little Boho-type bag.





#30, Granny Squares Purse. I don't think there's anything that be done with the granny square that can make it not dated and cheesy when used in clothing and accessories.





#31, Tunic. Basic empire-waisted cardi that would look better in another yarn.





#32, Sweater. This must be the yarn I loved so much in #09, Cowl, and I still love it, but I would definitely neaten up the fit of this one.





#33, Collared Cardigan. Not a bad-looking casual-type jacket.





#34, Waistcoat. Dumpy and frumpy.





#35, Long Sweater and Cowl. I wouldn't call this a "long sweater and cowl". I'd call it a caftan and then I'd ravel it out.





#36, Jacket. I'm not a fan of these unstructured, drape-front style cardigans, but this one isn't a bad piece of its kind.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really puzzled by the styling of the photo for #13. Where are her arms? Is that them under the drapes of fabric? Why are they draped in fabric? So many questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #13 Baahaaahaa! I wouldn't have thought about the poo emoji but that's exactly what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete